Bachelor of Arts in Feminist, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
The major in Feminist, Gender, and Sexuality Studies requires 63 units and may be taken as a single major, as one of multiple majors, or as a secondary major.
FEMGEN core courses must be taken for a letter grade. A student wishing to major in Feminist, Gender, and Sexuality Studies should apply to the major via AXESS, preferably by the autumn quarter of junior year. The student will then select a sub-plan or develop an individualized proposal describing a thematic focus. In order to be approved as an FGSS major, students must outline a course of study and have it approved by a prospective adviser listed as FGSS core faculty. The approved study plan must then be submitted to the Program Office (Bldg. 460, Room 216) for approval by the Director.
A maximum of 10 of the 63 units for the major may be taken on a credit/no credit or satisfactory/no credit basis; a maximum of 10 units may be taken as independent studies or directed readings.
The Double Major & Secondary Major
- If a student is a doublemajor in FGSS, none of the 63 units counted toward the major in Feminist, Gender, and Sexuality Studies may overlap with units counted toward the major in another department or program.
- If a student is a secondarymajor in FGSS, all units counted toward the Feminist, Gender, and Sexuality Studies major may also be counted as fulfilling the major requirements in another department or program with the consent of that department or program.
For information about University policy on the secondary major, click here.
If you have questions about major requirements, contact Associate Director Patti Hanlon-Baker at email@example.com or Academic Services Administrator Rachel Meisels at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FEMGEN 101: Introduction to Feminist, Gender, & Sexuality Studies
- FEMGEN 103: Feminist Theories & Methods
- FEMGEN 104A: Junior Practicum
- FEMGEN 104B: Senior Practicum
- One theory course from the approved list
- One FEMGEN course or related course in Global Perspectives
- One FEMGEN course or related course in Intersection Structures of Oppression (Race, Ethnicity, and/or Class)
- One FEMGEN course or related course in LGBTQ Studies
Note: Course offerings change annually. Consult ExploreCourses for current offerings and email the program with questions about applying course credits towards the major.
For more information about the Major and its requirements, please consult our bulletin entry.